- Creative nonfiction in the “breathless” flash style, featured in Atlas and Alice. This piece explores a fourth grade playground incident, and the disheartening reality of growing up in a small-minded farm town in the 1970s.
Air So Thick
- Winner of the WOW! Summer 2019 Flash Competition, this historical flash fiction is set in my hometown during the Dust Bowl era, shortly after the massive Black Sunday storm. This story was also featured in The Writer’s Cafe Magazine’s Maps & Landscape issue.
- Loosely inspired by my grandmother, this is a short look at how much I hate the wind in Oklahoma. Featured in Reflex Fiction.
Midnight at the Crossroads Diner
- Set in 1970 Tishomingo, Oklahoma, this is a story of rock & roll and a young waitress named Tammy. Featured in Issue 5 of Twist in Time Literary Magazine.
- Included in the Writers Resist special issue on gun violence, this short political satire was inspired by the daily terror of dropping a child off at school.
Penny the Poisonmonger: An Origin Story
- Featured in the August 2019 issue of Enchanted Conversation: Fairy Tales, Folktales & Myths. Penny has withstood a lifetime of disappointment, but she is finally pushed over the edge by … a piece of burnt toast?
Once Upon an Autumn Breeze
- Written with my kiddo in mind, this little fairy tale is a mix of Chinese and European themes. It’s featured in The Writers’ Cafe Magazine Issue 18.
It’s Not Christmas Without Butter
- What’s more festive than a middle-of-the-night text rant? This little story is featured in the holiday issue of Funny Pearls. I hope it makes you laugh.
- Featured in the Autumn 2019 issue of Mad Scientist Journal. This story follows combat search & rescue specialist Lana McGee, and Diamond, her Hero-Class German Shepherd, on a secret mission.
- This is the true story of Dolores the Raccoon and her ongoing campaign to take over my house. Featured in the October 2019 issue of Funny Pearls.
- Featured in Unlikely Stories Mark V. This short social satire was inspired by the ridiculous state of American health care, particularly practices in long-term care facilities.
Teeth, Hair & Eyes, LLC
- Featured in the April 2019 issue of Defenestration. Tod’s lost. Merle’s bored. Pearl’s angry. Should these oddball characters be together? And what about the road devil?
Unfit for Domestication
- Can the memory of a scent make you crazy? Yes, it can. Forthcoming in the garden lit magazine GreenPrints, this nonfiction essay details the antics instigated by our tabletop orange tree.
- Featured in Copperfield Review, this is a father & son story set in Eastern China in 208 B.C. I hope you like it!
- All Red Angus the Goat wants is to sleep on cars and eat vinyl. All Bobbie Sue wants is her wedding ring back. This unlikely team-up won an honorable mention in the WOW! Women on Communication Fall 2018 Flash Fiction Contest. The story also won the popular vote and an editor’s pick in the YeahWrite weekly flash grid in October 2018.
- Featured in Daily Science Fiction, this micro story was inspired by a weird dream about dirty socks and kitchen utensils.
How to Feed the Yellow Cat
- Featured in Dead Housekeeping, this short essay explores my Grandfather’s complex relationship with Grandma and the cats that ruled their home.
Product of His Environment
- Featured in the Akashic Books Terrible Twosdays flash series. Who knew kung fu could be so confusing? Please enjoy this short nonfiction story.
Family Health, Day One
- Featured in the Akashic Books Terrible Twosdays flash series, this short nonfiction piece describes one of my family’s many bizarre conversations. I hope it makes you smile.